Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I took the Handmade Pledge



I initially began working on my shop because there's always been such a dearth of well made yet unique children's clothing.This is the 21st century but many are still approaching children's wear with antiquated concepts or a model based on inferior off shore manufacturing. Take your average streetwear label, right? They make oversized shirts for daddy so why not a few little onesies for junior. The problem is that the idea translates into let's take inferior goods manufactured in far off lands for extremely low cost in conditions that are either sweatshop-esque or only slightly better, ship them back to the US and then hike up the price by about 110% , slap our name on and call it style. Often streetwear manufacturers as well as other clothing genres believe that children's clothing really just means smaller versions of the usual junk. They aren't kid's wear manufacturers after all. Then there's the other side of the coin with the items that are incredibly well made BUT they look like they were made by the little old lady who lives alone with her 70 cats and who also makes toilet paper cozies on the side.
In other words, decidely old school....and not in the good way. Where is the happy medium? Is it possible to merge coolness, good taste, and quality into one working conglomerate for children's apparel...we'll see.


Above you see a picture of my studio work table...now I'm just waiting for my labels. My shop on Etsy will open sometime in Spring 2009 on Etsy as well as my own site(currently under constructions). I'll be offering children's clothing infants-5 yrs initially but I plan to branch out into larger children's sizes after my initial phase. Most of the items will be limited editions and/or one offs...I like to keep it fresh.

No comments: